Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Nov 30, 2015

Book Review: Lessons in Leadership

NOTE: I was not paid to review this book. It is an unbiased and objective review. If you have a book with Jewish or Israel related content and would like me to write a review, contact me for details of where to send me a review copy of the book.

Book Review: Lessons in Leadership, by Rabbi Jonathan Sacks


I'm not a big fan of Rabbi Jonathan Sacks's writing, former Chief Rabbi of the United Kingdom. Not because I don't like him, God forbid, but because he is normally a bit highbrow for my taste in books. There are things about his style that I do like, but overall I normally have a difficult time reading his works.

Lessons in Leadership by Rabbi Jonathan Sacks is a bit different, and I am enjoying it. Lessons in Leadership explores the weekly reading, the parshat hashavua, of the Torah in a short essay discussing a lesson in leadership gleaned for the weekly portion.

So far, in the few weeks of portions that I have read, the discussion is not overly philosophical, as much of his works are, but are focused on a single point - learning a leadership lesson from a central figure in the portion of the week.

For example, in the past weeks, Rabbi Sacks essays have discussed such leadership skills as knowing yourself rather than trying to be generic and popular, recovering from a difficult time and experience and setback, conformity or to not conform, and more. The table of contents has promising essays and topics coming up, and I look forward to reading those as well.

And besides for just his lesson in leadership, the book can be read as an interesting dvar torah on the weekly portion.

In his normal style, and this is something I like about all of Rabbi Sacks works (at least in the ones I have read), Rabbi Sacks uses real world examples with anecdotes from world leaders to drive home his point,

I like Lessons in Leadership so much, and think the idea is so important, that I have begun reading the essay on the weekly portion at my Shabbos table, as I think my kids, and myself, could benefit from the weekly lesson in leadership and discussion about it.

Buy Lessons in Leadership from Koren/Magid




NOTE: I was not paid to review this book. It is an unbiased and objective review. If you have a book with Jewish or Israel related content and would like me to write a review, contact me for details of where to send me a review copy of the book.




------------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

  1. You have such an interesting blog. Thanks for sharing. I'm a self-help blog author and reading blogs is my hobby and I randomly found your blog. I enjoyed reading your posts. All the best for your future blogging endeavors. Please keep in touch with me in Twitter, @selfhelpnemonik

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...